Saturday, April 24, 2010

Jackson Turns 9


I knew when I met you
an adventure was going to happen...
-- A.A. Milne

Dear Jackson Robert,

I love that quote above, because it always makes me think of you.  Nine years ago today, I delivered you via c-section (with NO anesthesia, by the way), and the incredible adventure of being your mom began.  This morning, I was looking back at your baby pictures and I found myself grinning from ear to ear.  You were SO cute!  You were such a roly-poly little man, and I remember your Daddy and I just marveling at how wonderfully blessed we were to have you.  You were such a sweet, good-natured baby, and even though you were born at a very busy time in our lives, we LOVED getting to love on you.

Now, nine years later, you are growing up before my very eyes and it is such a joy to watch you.  I have had the great privilege of spending nearly all day, every day with you over the past year, serving as your mom and also your teacher.  To be perfectly honest, when we decided to homeschool you this year, I was a little worried about how you would do.  I was hoping and praying that we wouldn't butt-heads on a daily basis like we had during your previous school year.  Thankfully, you pleasantly surprised me.  Not only have you cooperated in our homeschool endeavor -- you have excelled!  You have told me dozens of times how much you love homeschool and how much you love having me as your teacher, which does my heart a world of good.  I have seen you grow in so many ways this year - physically, academically, and most importantly, spiritually.  Seeing our cousin Chip baptize you last September and knowing that you really, truly understood what you were doing was such a blessing to me.  You and I have had some great conversations about God, eternity, and the things that REALLY matter in this life and in this world.  I see your little mind and heart growing each day, and it is an honor for me to be able to help mold and guide you.  I take this responsibility very seriously, and I thank God every day that He has afforded me the opportunity to homeschool your brothers and you. 

While I was writing this letter to you, I realized something.  Since you are nine years old today, I only get nine more years with you ~ well, with you living under my roof, anyway.  Nine more years of love, fun, learning and growing.....that's not much time when you think about it, especially if the next nine go by as quickly as the first ones did.  Once again, I am reminded to make each day count. 


This music that's playing in the background is the soundtrack from one of your favorite movies - Rudy.  You often tell us of your dream to play football at Notre Dame, and I always smile when you do.  Dream BIG, little fella, because the sky's the limit for you.  You can do whatever you want in this life, just remember the big picture and Who to give all the honor and glory to. 

Happy 9th birthday, kiddo.  I love you and I look forward to many more adventures with you! 

Love,
Mommy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that Monkey Tumpy! Happy Birthday, Jackson! I love you!!