Sunday, June 15, 2008

101 Reasons Why I Love Your Daddy


My little monkeys,

Do you realize how lucky you are to have such a great Daddy? He is THE BEST! This Father’s Day, I thought I’d share with you a few of the reasons why I love him so much……..

1. He loves and trusts Jesus with his whole heart.
2. He loves your mom, even when I don’t necessarily deserve it!
3. He tucks me in and kisses my forehead before he leaves for work each morning.
4. He starts our phone conversations with “Hello, my beautiful princess,” – a nice pick-me-up on days
when I am not feeling like much of one!
5. He’s sweet to me, even when I am not sweet to him.
6. He’s known me since I was 12 years old, and he still likes me.
7. He loves the four of you to pieces.
8. He works so hard to provide us with everything we need and most of what we want.
9. He is grateful for his blessings and thanks God for them every day.
10. He is a kind, patient, honorable man.
11. He’s an excellent father.
12. More importantly, he’s a great Daddy.
13. He truly enjoys spending time with the four of you, and delights in all of the wonderful things you
say and do.
14. He rocked our babies, changed their diapers, and often woke up in the middle of the night so their
mom could sleep.
15. He kisses boo-boos and gives piggyback rides.
16. He knows how to braid hair.
17. He’s good at saying bedtime prayers.
18. He teaches his boys how to play ball and his little girl how to cook.
19. He takes the time to explain not just the “how,” but the “why.”
20. He has big dreams for the four of you, but he realizes that each of you must make your own path
in the world.
21. He is eager to help others -- even strangers.
22. He is not afraid of mice or snakes.
23. More importantly, he is not afraid to admit when he is wrong, apologize, and then do what it takes
to make amends.
24. Despite the fact that he is technically a Yankee, he can cook southern food like nobody’s business.
25. He wasn’t born in the south, but he got here as fast as he could.
26. He watches Paula Deen, Animal Cops, and medical documentaries with me, when he’d rather
be watching ESPN.
27. He loves his momma.
28. He loves my momma.
29. He remembers special occasions and anniversaries better than most women I know.
30. He loves babies and puppies almost as much as I do.
31. He likes Saint Bernards and Chihuahuas, and most dogs in between.
32. He can fix cars and computers and broken toilets, usually without yelling.
33. He is smart and creative and not afraid to take chances.
34. When we were 17, he tried to teach me trigonometry, and never got mad that I didn’t understand it.
35. Without being asked, he scratches my back every single day (sometimes 5 or 10 times!)
36. He lets me hog the blankets and his side of the bed.
37. He helps me with my four-legged critters, even the ones he didn’t invite to live here.
38. He likes to snuggle on the couch with the kids, the dogs and me.
39. He knows how to make my sweet tea with just the right amount of sugar.
40. He’s good at planting flowers and he even enjoys doing it.
41. He is a true friend.
42. He would give the shirt off his back to anyone who needed it.
43. He is a cheerful giver.
44. He’s dependable and trustworthy.
45. He wakes up earlier than necessary so he can start his day with God.
46. He gets up early and goes to bed late, and keeps a smile on his face most of the hours in between!
47. He remembers to do most of the things I ask him to do.
48. He helps me around the house.
49. He runs errands for me without complaint.
50. He likes grocery shopping and he loves to cook.
51. He’s a good listener.
52. He is silly and he makes me laugh!
53. He likes driving and exploring with me on the back roads of small towns.
54. He likes to take road-trips with James Taylor singing in the background.
55. Like me, he’d rather stay in a small-town bed-and-breakfast than a 5-star-resort.
56. He likes watching the sun rise and set over the ocean.
57. He likes taking long walks and soaking in the beauty of God’s creation.
58. He holds my hand in the car.
59. He surprises me with sweet notes left in various places around the house.
60. He makes homemade cards that mean so much more than anything he could buy.
61. He is compassionate and respectful to others.
62. He is friendly, and he looks people in the eye when he talks to them.
63. He is kind to strangers.
64. He recognizes when people are hurting, and tries to lend a hand.
65. He is a great encourager.
66. He speaks from his heart.
67. He waves at our neighbors (even the ones who never wave back).
68. He appreciates his country and his freedom, and takes the time to personally thank any serviceman
who crosses his path.
69. He is genuine and true, and comfortable in his own skin.
70. He's not afraid to admit that he doesn't have all of the answers.
71. He’s freely admits his mistakes and shortcomings and is man enough to learn and grow from them.
72. He doesn’t try to impress anyone but Jesus.
73. He reads his Bible and lets God’s Word be his guide.
74. His favorite verse is Jeremiah 29:11, and he believes those words with all his heart.
75. He never makes a decision without consulting God first.
76. He rarely makes a decision without consulting me first.
77. He listens and obeys God’s calling, even when it doesn’t necessarily coincide with his own personal plans.
78. He has a good attitude and expects that good things are going to happen.
79. He is mild-mannered and easygoing.
80. He reminds me to “keep the little things little.”
81. He rarely mopes or complains, but he listens to me when I do!
82. He sees the best in others.
83. He brings out the best in others.
84. He truly believes that most people ARE good.
85. He accepts and loves people just as they are.
86. He is quick to forgive and forget.
87. He lets me be right most of the time. ;)
88. He doesn’t hold grudges.
89. He knows all of my quirks and faults, and loves me anyway.
90. He is thoughtful and generous, and finds great pleasure in making others happy.
91. He cares about his health and his body.
92. He is super-handsome. ;)
93. He laughs at my obsession with bargain-hunting.
94. He thinks that $1 (name brand!) clothes from Goodwill are cool.
95. He is a man of integrity.
96. He is faithful and devoted to his God and his family.
97. Every day, he tells me that he loves me and appreciates me.
98. He is a GOOD, sweet man.
99. He prays for us every day.
100. He was hand-picked for us by God …..
101. ......and I couldn’t have asked for a better husband or father for the four of you!



Over the past 18+ years, I have had the great privilege of watching your dad grow from a boy into a man. Our lives haven’t always been easy, but together, we made it through. I think your dad would agree that all of the bumps in the road have made us better people - and better parents! I am so grateful that I had him beside me every step of the way. To steal a line from the movie Jerry McGuire, “he completes me.” It sounds silly, but it’s true! Every day, I thank God for giving me the gift of a loving husband, a caring father, and best friend all rolled in to one. I am so proud to have been chosen to be his wife.

Y'all hug your Daddy extra tight today – he deserves it!

Love,
Mommy

1 comment:

GA Girl Politics said...

You keep your blog up to date better than anyone I know & this posting is one of the best I've ever read!!! God has guided you both through many difficult trials & I love seeing how you have grown in Christ through it all. In the last year I have noticed a complete change in both of you that is honoring to God & your family!! You are one of the dearest friend's a girl could ask for & I love you!

Mel