Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Fun with the Family

A couple of Sundays ago, we visited B's hometown - the bustling metropolis of Barnesville, GA. We went to hear my cousin, Chip, preach at a sweet, hundred-year-old congregation called "Fredonia Church," of which he is the Associate Pastor.
This was our first time hearing Chip give a sermon, and we were all thoroughly impressed! Chip's message was titled "Bringing the Joy Back." He reminded us how important it is to keep a smile on our face and joy in our hearts, even when the stress and demands of the world try to take it away. He made the point that if you can manage to smile, even when you don't really feel like it, it will often improve not only your attitude, but that of others around you, too! Davis, I know you were listening, because later that evening, when Jackson was complaining and moping around about something, I heard you tell him, "Jackson, remember what cousin Chip said? We're supposed to keep smiling so people can see Jesus in our hearts!"


After church, we caravaned over to my Aunt Ethel's house for a fabulous lunch of all our favorite foods -- ham, roast beef, homegrown green beans, black-eyed peas and sliced tomatoes, potato salad, deviled eggs and hot, buttered rolls -- it was DEEEEEEELICIOUS! Ethel outdid herself and even made three homemade pies for all of us to enjoy!




After we stuffed ourselves silly, Ethel loaded a bunch of you little ones on her golf cart and took you on a spin around the block. Would you belive that Barnesville is so small, they allow golf carts to ride on the regular roadways!?! After that, my cousin Matthew (who is a local police officer) let you guys play in his patrol car.




Jackson and little Walt immediately wanted to sit in the back - go figure! Then everyone got a turn to sit on my cousin Levi's motorcycle. Davis and Jackson - DON'T GET ANY IDEAS.



Tori, you quickly made friends with Matthew's daughter, Madison, and followed her around like a little puppy-dog. I enjoyed telling her stories about her dad and I when we were little kids - like the time I got my hair all cut off, so I'd look like him!



B and I chatted the afternoon away, catching up with the ladies, while Daddy had a little "golf talk" with the guys.



Ethel sent us home with full bellies, big smiles and a basket full of tomatoes from her garden.

I can tell you one thing for sure - we're gonna do this more often!

Love, Mommy

No comments: