Friday, August 8, 2008

My Baby Girl

http://


Dear Tori,

Your long-awaited day has come – today is your seventh birthday! You have been so funny the past few weeks, reminding anyone and everyone that your birthday is August 8! Although you've driven us a bit crazy lately with your endless "birthday countdown," I love seeing you so excited!

As of today, you've been a part of our family for six years and three days. But honestly, I can’t remember a day without you! From the moment you came home, you have fit right in. Keeping up with two toddlers certainly kept Daddy and me on our toes! We look back on pictures of you and Jackson when you were babies and marvel at how cute you both were – and how tired we must have been to now barely remember any of it! With your doctor’s appointments and therapy visits too many to count, it’s been a wild ride! We have literally burned up the road (and a couple of car engines!) between Atlanta and Athens trying to get you all of the help you needed to become the strong, healthy girl you are today. It hasn’t always been fun and games, but I wouldn’t have had it any other way.

It has been a privilege to be your Momma, Tori Nicole. Although you can push my buttons like nobody else, you are just as quick to melt my heart! Everyone who meets you comments on what a sweet, sweet girl you are, and I have to agree. For such a little peanut, you sure have a big heart! Although you are kind and generous to everyone you meet, you have always been a Momma’s girl. I don’t think there’s ever been another child who loves her mom as much as you. From the time you learned to crawl, you have been my little shadow, never straying more than a few feet from my side. To this day, your most favorite place to be is playing with your toys underneath my desk chair! I used to get a little annoyed that you take every step behind me, but then I realized why you need me to be close to you. You had so many losses and changes in your first year of life, it's no wonder you hold so tightly to the one “constant” you remember! When I look at it that way, it's easier for me to understand your little quirks and appreciate your attachment to me.

Tori, you are such a treasure. You have truly been a blessing to our family. Without even trying, you have opened doors, hearts and minds. A big task for such a little girl – but your sweet spirit has been an inspiration to all who know and love you. I hope you always know that God has had His hand in your life from the moment you were born. When I think back on all that you have been through, the mere fact that you are here with us today is nothing short of a miracle! To start life as a fragile, three-pound preemie with multiple birth complications (any one of which could have been life-threatening) and blossom into the happy, healthy, beautiful girl you are today – you are truly a testament to God's goodness and grace.

I am constantly amazed at your strength and determination, Little Lady. You have such a tender heart and such passion for life! Though I sometimes complain about your endless “spunk,” I know that your tenacity and stubbornness is a large part of what helped get you where you are today. As you grow, I hope you can channel that energy and go on to do wonderful things. You have such a gracious spirit; I have no doubt that you will make a difference wherever you go! Our Jesus has big plans for you, sweet girl - just listen and let Him lead you where He wants you to go!

Throughout your life, as you share your story, people are going to tell you how lucky you are that you came to be a part of our family. I know this is true because it's already happened many times. But I want you to know the real truth: it wasn’t “luck” that placed you in our family. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God Himself brought us together. And if anyone was lucky, it was us. On the day I first met you, I knew as soon as I held you that you were meant to me our little girl. I can’t explain it any better than that – I JUST KNEW. Over the course of time, things would happen here and there that continued to show God’s hand in your adoption. For example, when you were just a few months old, I noticed that you have the same, tiny birthmark on one of your legs that all three of your brothers have. Also, your mother and mine share the same birthday. Your mother has several similarities with my Dad, as well, including the fact that they were both originally from California. And, of course, the most obvious similarity is that you and I share the same middle name! Call me crazy, but I don’t believe any of that is coincidence………

Speaking of your mother, I want you to know what a special place she holds in my heart. As your Mama, I am so thankful to her for giving you life! I would give my left foot to be able to meet her in person and thank her for the priceless gift she gave. You and I talk about her a lot, and look forward to the day we’ll meet her in heaven. I often tell you that she is looking down on you, and I know she is proud of the sweet girl you have become. I hope you always know how much she loved you and wanted the best for your life. One day when you’re a mom, I hope you’ll understand the significance of the sacrifice she made and the beauty of the gift she gave to me and you.

So today, Miss Tori, I am very grateful. I thank God that He entrusted me with the precious gift of YOU. Enjoy your day special day, baby girl. I love you!

Love,
Your Mama

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tori Nicole-

Your mommy said it all! Uncle Chris and I are so proud and grateful to be your Godparents. We love seeing your big smile and love it when you come to play with Ezra! You are a beautiful girl- inside and out- and we thank God each day for sending you to our family.
Happy 7th Birthday!!

With all our love-
Aunt Karinna, Uncle Chris, & Ezra