Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Breaks

Dear Tori,

With a house full of boys, I always just assumed we'd have a lot of broken bones to deal with over the years.  We've been pretty fortunate, though.  Until very recently, the only fractured bone in our family belonged to Davis, and that happened when he was two years old.  He broke his elbow at daycare and had two wear a splint and sling for several weeks. 

A few weeks ago, however, our lucky streak ran out.  While you were outside playing one evening, you tripped and fell in our neighbor's front yard.  The result?


A broken thumb. 

I snapped this photo as we were leaving the urgent care center.  At the hand specialist's office a few days later, you got a pink, glittery, waterproof cast that you've worn for nearly four weeks.  You have been such a trooper - rarely complaining, despite being left-handed and it being your left thumb that you broke.  You've learned to do all kinds of things with your right hand, including learning how to hold a pencil and write.  Very impressive, Miss!  Thanks for being a good sport and having such a great attitude.  I know you are looking forward to closing this chapter, and I am, too!

Love,
Mommy

No comments: